Re: [LUG] Viglen MPC-L

2008/10/27 Rob Beard <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> I initially thought of the Linksys NSLU2 but I wondered too if the
> Viglen MPC-L would run anything other than the standard Xubuntu which it
> comes pre-installed with?

The Viglen MPC-L is an AMD Geode based device. It can run any x86
distro I guess. I have two of them and love them. Whilst it's not the
fastest thing on the planet it's quite versatile - especially as a
very low power (8 watts) server.

> I was thinking something like CentOS Linux 4 if it would run.

I see no reason why it shouldn't. I have the stock Xubuntu on one, and
Ubuntu on the other.

> Does anyone know what CPU these devices have in them and how much/what
> type of memory?  (I presume some sort of x86 compatible CPU with SODIMM
> memory?)

http://popey.com/~alan/viglen/

Has some info about the device (lspci, lshw and the like) hope that's useful.

Also! The web price of those devices is £99 plus VAT and delivery. If
you listen to episode 11 of the Ubuntu UK Podcast you'll hear how you
can get one for £79 _including_ VAT and delivery, plus a keyboard,
mouse and 1G usb stick thrown in! 80 quid for a PC - delivered, great
deal :)

http://podcast.ubuntu-uk.org/

Cheers,
Al.