Re: [LUG] Boot script

trewornan wrote:
> I've just finished installing eeeUbuntu on my new eeepc and I find that every time
> I boot I have to open a terminal and do the following:
>

>> sudo iwconfig ra0 essid any
>> sudo dhclient
>>

> Obviously this needs to be in a script somewhere - some docs seem to say it should
> be in "init" but I've seen some websites say that with current releases of Ubuntu,
> "startup" should now be used.
>
> I'm also wondering if I need to do something with setuid or whatever to get the
> script to run with sufficient privileges - or does init automatically run under
> root?
You could create your own init script. They are structured fairly
simply... or you could plonk the above commands (without the "sudo"s)
into /etc/rc.local and make sure /etc/rc.local is executable.

Alternatively, you could create a small script that runs those and add
it to your GUI's "startup" routines. If that's GNOME, then it's under
the System -> Preferences -> Sessions menu item. The script could be as
simple as:
gksudo -u root "iwconfig ra0 essid any; dhclient ra0".

Grant.