Re: [LUG] Laptop Colour Depth x64 Intrepid

On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 12:19 PM, Rob Beard <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Kevin Tunison wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I installed Ubuntu Intrepid x64 the other day on my acer aspire5003wlmi
> amd turion.  The display, while it displays at say 16,000 colours -
> there is definitely something not right about it.  I I try to do
> anything with video or my digital photos, it's all like 256 colour. I've
> not had to really tweak around display options for many years, and so
> any pointers would be helpful.
>
> So far I've been to the ubuntu wiki testing group and applied their
> recommendations.  I think what I used to do was configure x and just
> startx instead of a display manager.  what else could I run to configure
> any possible drivers and such?
>
> lcpci returns:
>
> VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [Sis] 661/741/760
> PCI/AGP or 662/761Gx PCIE VGA Display Adapter
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam/AcerAspire5003WLMi
>
> Nothing so far has really jumped out at me as a bug on the ubuntu site
> either... yet anyways.

Have you tried Ubuntu Hardy at all or even another distro?

Doing a bit of investigation, it appears Intel manufacture a motherboard
with this same SIS chipset.  You can download a driver for the SIS
chipset from Intel's site here:

http://tinyurl.com/2arxlb

Might not work but it's certainly worth a try.

Rob

Thanks I'll try that.

I have tried an older live cd before (Etchy maybe?) for amd64 and that worked well.  Unfortunely, my dvd drive bricked (I temporarily swapped out my wife's laptop drive to install, as I don't have a switch to pxe boot) so It'll take some time but I'll test that again.

another distro - xp works :-D  so, not a hardware issue.