Re: [LUG] fan noise

On Friday 17 Oct 2008, Tom Potts wrote:
> My laptop fan has started to make a lot of noise - not vibration more of a
> whine. This makes it unpopular as an adjunct to the tv! I've tried cleaning
> it buf to no avail.
>  Anyone know of acoustic filters that may help - thin padding perhaps then
> I can make a shallow box.
> Tom te tom te tom

Tom, I haven't heard of an acoustic filter solution for this, but I'd be weary
of adding anything that reduces the air flow: notebooks run hot as it is and
are finely tuned to use the minimum of energy for cooling. You may cause an
overheating problem if you obstruct the fan.

I recommend getting hold of a can of compressed air and giving the whole
machine a thorough blast. You'll be surprised at what'll come out! You may
get lucky and blast the whine out of it.

Failing that, I'm afraid you'll need a new fan. Not a problem as long as
you're confident about stripping the machine down to get at it...

Steve.

--
blog: http://ste.mooco.ws  PGP:ED407E68