Re: [LUG] PHP as opposed to C#

On Tuesday 14 October 2008 14:37, Richard Brown wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
> Just got this from a developer I am working with on a large project.
> Can anyone offer me insight please?
>
> "in terms of the platform development, im thinking about switching
> from using php to c#. the downside to this is the requirement for a
> windows server and the problem of running visual studio (c# ide) on a
I think monodevelop  runs on the mac - you can run a large amount of 'c#'
without any recourse to windows. See http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page
There are some questions as to how open the 'standard' is - an having
programmed professionally in C# (and VB.NET) I really wish there was
something that came close in the OS world.
You can run most any C#' stuff on non-windows machines and good partitioning
will leave any 'windows specific code' as web services so that should keep
costs down.
> mac! so this affects the running costs of the platform, but there
> could be a massive long term saving. c# is alot nicer for development
> especially for big platforms, its also compiled to machine code so a
Not quite - its compiled to CIL code - a kind of upmarket pseudo code or java
bytecode with attitude - machine independent!
> webserver can serve more users alot more efficiently. php is ok but at
> the end of the day its still a scripted language, and its not well
If theres anyone out there still reading is there any JIT compilation
available in PHP (page not changes use compiled code from last version else
make new lot)??

However, in my experience the best place for 'WORK' - unless your writing
highlevel maths - is within the DB itself and caching and good DB design are
far more important than whatever poxy language you are using to access your
information. I wrote a vb asp application for 300,000 products and 30,000
customers and it was the db ( a seriously powerful multiprocessor setup) that
slowed it down.
> suited to such big platforms (in my opinion at least). i will most
> likely be moving to c#, unless you can think of any problems this may
> pose?"
The main problem here is Microsoft may - at their 'discretion' claim royalties
on it. The EU seem to have just agreed some form of software patent setup and
MS may come knocking on your cheque book any day now.

But, to reiterate, while I believe the # language setup to be, currently the
pinnacle of procedural programming design , if you cant get it working in PHP
and MySql then rethink it. A compiled web page that compiles in 0.001s as
opposed to one that interprets the same in 0.1s and still has to wait .5s for
the DB is pointless.
Tom te tom te tom

And if your not heavily using a DB - try CGI/ISAPI etc