Re: [LUG] OT Sky Broadband

peter wrote:
> Hi
>
> Sky "seem" to be offering free broadband???
>
> I have yet to discover whats the catch?
>
> (I am an existing sky user (shame)!
>
> Thanks
>
> Peter L-J

Well here's the T&C's from http://broadband.sky.com:

Please read the terms and conditions below:

* Pay Per View.

1 Set-up: Standard set up is £30 for new Sky TV customers joining with a
Sky+ or Sky+ HD box or Sky Broadband and Sky Talk (otherwise
£60).Standard set-up for existing customers taking any Sky box and
combination of Sky services is £60, or for existing customers taking Sky
Broadband without another Sky box: Base - £75; Mid & Connect -
£50; Max - £25 or if you already have or take Sky Talk: Base - £50; Mid
& Connect - £25; Max - £0

Sky Broadband: Minimum subscription 12 months. You must be a UK active
residential Sky TV subscriber throughout your Sky Broadband
subscription. Monthly usage limits: Base - 2GB; Mid - 40GB; Max -
Unlimited subject to Fair Use Policy; Connect - 40GB. Maximum upload
speed: Base - up to 400Kb; Mid - up to 400Kb; Max - up to 768Kb; Connect
- up to 448Kb. Home installation £50 if required. If your PC/laptop is
not wireless enabled you can buy the necessary equipment from Sky. MAC
users receive 12 months free McAfee VirusScan worth £319.99.

Sky Player: Price and availability of content depends on whether you are
a Sky TV subscriber and the kind of subscription you have. PC with
Microsoft Windows XP or Windows Vista required and minimum 1Mb broadband
connection recommended.

What they don't tell you too is that your local exchange has to be
enabled with Sky's LLU kit.  If it's not (what Sky call - outside
network area) you'd have to pay £17 a month for up to 8Mbit (dependent
on line length and quality).

You can check what providers have installed their network kit in your
local exchange by going to Sam Knows Broadband at
http://www.samknows.com/broadband

Just select the 'Check broadband in your area' option on the Broadband
tools on the top right hand side of the page.  It should tell you what's
available.  It can also give you more detailed information too.

Rob