Re: [LUG] OT: jobs for the boys?

Tom Potts wrote:

> Is it just me or have spam rates rocketed since a lot of these financial
> wizards have more time on their hands?

I think it is just you.

I'm seeing a lot of Mydoom variant viruses today at work - probably just me.

This is a recurring question on Spam-L - "is it me or..."

The answer is nearly always "it is me", since the last step change I
recall was the adding of an early Storm bot variant to the Microsoft
malicious software removal tool. At the time it accounted for 7% of all
malware on Windows according to some sources, and no one around here
noticed the step change in spam as a result of the removal of hundreds
of thousands of copies of this malware, it was that insignificant but it
was measurable!

We can thus conclude that spam sources are robustly diversified, and
that most significant changes to spam volumes are likely local in nature.

Ergo there are probably no silver bullets, although one can do skillful
filtering on both reputation, and content, fairly easily.

I'm not aware of a plausible real-time graph of spam attempts from a
provider with enough volume to place statistical faith in the numbers.
Note given the nature of attacks on specific domains such a provider
would need a LOT of domains (read ~100,000's) to make a reliable sample.

Alex, do you have a better view/answer?
Do your employers have such a graph they will share?