Re: [LUG] Promoting SFD 2008

--------- Original Message --------
From: list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [LUG] Promoting SFD 2008
Date: 17/09/08 06:47

> On Tue, 2008-09-16 at 22:34 +0100, Rob Beard wrote:
> &gt; Adam Latham wrote:
> &gt;
> &gt; &gt;&gt;&gt; Unfortunately I only have one machine with a licensed
copy of Windows on
> &gt; &gt;&gt;&gt; there which is spare for the event.  My other half
wouldn't let me use
> &gt; &gt;&gt;&gt; her laptop and I figured Windows 98 and NT 4 machines
will be a bit too old.
> &gt; &gt;&gt;&gt;
> &gt; &gt; Except, of course to showcase one of the 'Linux Lite' distros.
DSL,
> &gt; &gt; Puppy and Slax all work pretty well on my P3 500MHz 128Mb RAM
heap, that
> &gt; &gt; I use to play with as a file server (until I blow it up -
regularly!)
> &gt;
> &gt; The other problem I have at the moment is transport.  I'm only just
> &gt; going to be able to get the one machine over there.
> &gt;
> &gt; &gt; Might be worth a shot to demonstrate that you don't need a
2.4GHz DC
> &gt; &gt; with 4Gb RAM to have a working PC?
> &gt;
> &gt; Nah, I need at lead a quad core CPU ;-)
> &gt;
> &gt; 1 core for the OS, 3 cores for when flash goes belly up and starts
> &gt; hogging the CPU.
> &gt;
> &gt; Rob
> &gt;
> &gt;
> lol!
>
> I was aiming the last bit towards the idea of engaging community groups,
> who are self-funded and don't have a lot of cash.  Lots of them depend
> on 'donated' computers or 2nd+ handers.  Maybe if we can demonstrate
> that there are better options than Windoze 98, 2000, ME, XP for fairly
> old machines, that won't cost them a bean, they may think about
> swapping.
>
> Just a thought!
>
> Adam

I am going to start on a placement for a4e (new deal) tomorrow at a child
care centre,  I am not sure what their ICTY situation is, but they sound the
ideal candidate.  for this sort of thing, I am not sure if its appropriate
at an interview to mention stuff,  but I can mention what I am involved
with, and perhaps ask them if they want to drop in on Saturday.  I'll see,
but if we have some old PC's around,  lets see what we can do.

Getting more kids onto tux typing rather an MS paint, can't be a bad, thing,
as the former is far more kid friendly at least.

Paul