Re: [LUG] glabels again

On Sun, 2008-09-14 at 07:27 +0100, Tom Potts wrote:
> On Saturday 13 September 2008 22:53, james kilty wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > I have checked the .glabels file and it has my template as an xml file
> > which I can edit (it has measurements in points, but at least that's one
> > step closer).
> >
> > It would still be neat if I could edit the properties of the file I
> > created to change the details - is this possible.
> Would these properties be in addition to those set as standard for the
> printer?
I have no idea - from the nature of the programme it would appear these
override any standard ones in the printer - this would seem to be rather
fundamental as a defined label template is meant to be absolute. The
saved file is a binary so there seems to be no way I can edit the format
aspect from the file using, say, Kate.
> Your printer will probably have some offsets already defined so I would guess
> glabels would be added to those?
No idea.

What I can do now, is edit the template directly and this time print it
on a set of labels as a grid, rather than on paper and measure the
offsets etc. If it fits the actual label paper then I can store it and
use it for any (J8161) labels.

It is interesting to compare the two programmes - in glabels I have to
define one label at a time. In designpro (avery) you can define as many
labels as you like with a common part and add variations on as many
copies as you wish in the one file - in my case different weights of
honey jar and lot number.

It has a similar "print as many labels anywhere on the page" function.
But it is so superior in printing - XP takes ages to set up the print
file, and always tells me I have non-standard ink cartridges. It also
seems to need the printer in the same usb socket every time whereas
Linux doesn't care which usb.

Thanks

--
james kilty