Re: [LUG] re homeplugs - VIP

Grant Sewell wrote:
> However, the "attacker" does need to know how to do this.
>
> I personally only have my home WiFi "secured" through MAC address filtering
> - sure, it's totally insecure from a security point of view, but if
> someone's going to be hacking into my wireless network, I'll see them
> (physically) and I might as well invite them in, give 'em a cup of tea and
> convert them to running Linux. :)
>
> Grant.
My WiFi network is secured by;

a. changing the default user ID and password, which for some reason a
lot of people don't do.
b. changing the default ESSID - again something people seem to ignore.
c. *hiding* the ESSID.
d. WPA-PSK with a very long passphrase.
e. MAC address filtering.

My view is that I don't necessarily have to make it *impossible* for a
determined attacker to get in, as I probably don't have the necessary
software/hardware/knowledge to do so anyway.  What I have to do is make
my network less attractive to someone trying to steal bandwidth and/or
hack than my neighbour, who does broadcast the ESSID and it's the make
of his router....

It's the same principle as the two guys running away from a bear.  The
one turns to the other and says 'I don't have to be faster than the
bear, just faster than you'.

One thing I would like to know how to do at some point is set-up VPN.
However I think that involves me running a VPN server somewhere, and as
my main system dual-boots Windows and Linux that's starting to look more
complex than I actually need.

Kind regards,

Julian