Re: [LUG] Debian and Nvidia driver

Argh this is driving me nuts now. It's all very well Debian having this
free/non-free thing, so long as it doesn't blow up...

I've literally just installed Debian onto a system for a friend, using
the network installation CD, so it should all be freshly downloaded
packages. I am trying to install the nvidia driver.
I've added non-free onto the ends of the lines in sources.list.
But it just won't have it.
Everything depends upon nvidia-kernel-common, which apparently doesn't
have an installation candidate. Is this my problem or is the repo broken?

Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Simon

(sorry for the rantyness).

--

Simon

I had all sorts of hassle trying to use the repositories to set up my
nvidia card on Kubuntu.

I ended up using Envy (which has a Kubuntu package, not sure if that
extends to vanilla debian though). It worked a dream and even fixed an
annoying mouse scrolling problem I had on my list of things to fix.

Basically the package downloads the latest drivers (either current or
legacy set) from the nvidia site, compiles them(?) and configures it
exactly for your setup.

It's supposed to support ATI too but I've not tried that.

Martin