Re: [LUG] where is everyone

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 11:55:05AM +0100, Eion MacDonald wrote:

>   Tried Ubuntu 8.0.4 on my Windows XP machine as a live disc.
> Failed to find my monitor/video card reduced me to 800x600 screen and
> no way to adjust within Ubuntu as it  limited screen to 800x600 or
> below choices.So Ubuntu not installed. Back to SuSE 10.3.

Only way I resolved this was by running

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

This will run you through a whole bunch of questions leading upto the following:

- What resolutions does your monitor support
- What type of monitor is it

If you select the advanced options and if you have your monitor manual then you can
enter the frequency settings. Otherwise the basic options should work.

The otherway to do it is to amend the settings on the X windows configuration file

--
Henry
Photocopies or faxes of my signature are not binding. Electronic documents