[LUG] Hackable Router hardware choice?

Someone I know needs a couple of small routers for a project.

Sounds like at least 3 ethernet ports, small, rugged.

Ideally running GNU/Linux so he can try different configuration to see
what provide best performance in a demanding physical environment.

Any recommendation on a board, or device he might be able to hack?

Sounds like he already has the wireless stuff sorted, so just ethernet....

I'm guessing cheapest would be if there is a suitable device out in mass
production that can be hacked about.