Re: [LUG] Grey Listing

sam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I think any automated email is being bouced, Any tips as i don't really want
> to have a white list.

Postgrey - implementation of greylisting for Postfix - comes with a
prepared whitelist.

Email sent via SMTP should be retried, so whether it is automated or not
should not matter.

Some automated systems change the sending address each try - I'd regard
this as RFC infringing - but greylisting needs to allow for it somehow.
In Postgrey they do this via whitelisting.

More common problem is systems retrying from different IP addresses in a
similar range - Postgrey handled this by grouping class C addresses as
one. Or systems that just don't retry - bad idea - again Postgrey uses a
whitelist for these.

Not sure what you mean by "auto whitelist 12h", is that the period to
allow before forgetting an attempt, if so I'd say at least 24 hours.
Postgrey whitelists on multiple successful deliveries from the same IP
address (5 by default).

> Your membership in the mailing list list has been disabled due to
excessive bounces The last bounce received from you was dated
13-Jun-2008.

Greylisting should issue a 4xx code - which is neither a bounce, nor a
reject (what I suspect they really meant here). Check you aren't
rejecting, or bouncing, this servers messages due to some other filter.

Read the log files ;)