Re: [LUG] AUTOMOUNTING EXTERNAL HARD DISK

james kilty wrote:
> Hello
>
> My /home is full. At least I keep getting the message that it is when I
> boot up with, now, 0% free. Actually Konqueror says I have 4.7GB free
> out of 27.5 (100% used). It also claims the size of /home is 25.9GB.
> Contents seem to inflate like a balloon in spite of deleting (and
> emptying trash) such as .isos of 3GB. I need to transfer some to an
> external usb hard drive. I have done this successfully with previous
> editions of Kubuntu on my 64bit computer but not with 8.04. The hard
> drive automounts on my laptop, running the 32bit version of Kubuntu and
> is named FREECOM. When I plug it into the desktop, I see the icon called
> FREECOM HDD and any attempt to open it gives the nessage "mount point
> media/FREECOM HDD does not exist".
>
 > How can I correct this and restore my communication with the device?

I could be wrong, but it sounds to me that it doesn't like the space in
the volume label (although I've not personally had that problem, but I'm
running Gnome on Ubuntu).

I had a quick look on how to change the volume label, you can use mtools
but it talks about entering drive letters!

If you've got access to a Windows machine, I'd suggest plugging it in,
changing the drive volume label to something else without a space and
see if this works.

> Later I hope to perhaps move the contents of the partition to a larger
> (empty one - saved for trying other distros), perhaps using partimage,
> but can I do this in one step?

When I've used PartImage I found that I was able to backup a partition
but it didn't do the MBR and IIRC the drive size and possibly partition
sizes had to be the same.  It might work out easier to use TAR to backup
your partition.

> Finally, if I want to back up using rsyc or Unison. Is it best to format
> my hard disk as ext3 - it is currently FAT32 or partition it?

You'll probably find the drive is partitioned anyway otherwise it
probably wouldn't work on Windows.  AFAIK rsync would work but I presume
you'd loose all the permissions on the files so maybe reformatting the
drive as EXT3 would be a good idea if you're not looking to use it on a
Windows machine (actually, you can get an EXT3 file system driver for
Windows, not sure how good it is).

Rob