[LUG] Support My Mother

Hi

I'm looking for someone who's prepared to offer my mum tech support over
the phone in the very very unlikely event she needs it while I'm away.

A few months back I migrated my mother from XP to Ubuntu as windows was
getting slower and slower, even stuff like web browsing - had to replace
the PC eventually (it was kind of old) and it became obvious that the
hardware was failing.

So mother is currently ubuntu 8.4, using open office, firefox, evolution
and Quicken 2004 on Crossover Office. Also something called Kxstitch,
for making images into cross-stitch embroidery patterns. Her PC is wired
directly into the router.

She is a not a techie and doesn't really care what OS she uses just so
long as she can do whatever it is she needs to do without too much
faffing around. However she is a more than competent PC user, having
used them since the days when floppies were actually floppy and your
average user had to know something about DOS. i.e. if she had to do
something on the command line she'd need to be told where it is, how to
access it and what to type in, but wouldn't be completely thrown by the
basic concept.

As I'm going away for a couple of weeks I was wondering if there is
anyone on the LUG who'd be prepared to offer telephone tech support? It
is highly unlikely that you'd get a call as everything she needs is up
and stable. She is not going to be installing new software or doing
anything outside her normal work patterns while I'm away, so the
availability of tech support is really just to give me peace of mind. If
one was to volunteer ones services one would probably never hear from
her.

If you're prepared to do this please send me an offlist mail and I'll
get back to you.

Thanks
   Simon