[LUG] Linux Workshops Public Liability Insurance and PAT testing

<sigh length="long"/>

I'm putting all my cards on the table, and peeling the top off the can
of worms (again?).....

A few members of the DCGLUG (based in Torbay) are trying to arrange some
workshops events to demonstrate and publicise GNU/Linux. A few other
members have been helpful in supplying old laptops to use as LTSP
clients and we have scratched together a fairly mobile LTSP
configuration that can be transported in a moderately sized car (say an
old blue fiesta ).

As "custodian" of the equipment I'm quite happy to lend it out to other
members who are interested in organising and running their own DCGLUG
events. I'm quite willing to reconfigure / assemble / train / support
anyone who wants run / organise their own events where time and
resources permit.

We have also managed to find some venues (in torbay area) that are
willing to offer us their facilities for a moderate fee (eg £10),
however we need Public Liability Insurance (at least in one venue to
cover us up to £50,000) and we need to get the equipment PAT tested as
well. At the moment we are looking into asking the PTA @ the school
venue we have in mind to use their Public Liability Insurance, that may
work out, then again it might not.

As a group we have a fairly layed back policy on membership fees. I am
not suggesting for one minute that we change things. However perhaps it
would be helpful if we had (as DCGLUG) some sort of Public Liability
Insurance and access (preferably @ reasonable cost) to a certified PAT
tester. Sadly these things cost money and may well (if all are in
agreement) need some sort of formal funding arrangement.

One thing is for sure, I have dipped into my own personal funds to buy
bits and pieces necessary to put this resource together, and it would be
a shame to see it go unused in the future .....

IMO the more we make use of these facilities the better the
justification for funding things like Public Liability Insurance and PAT
testing. Although I quite understand any members concerns that they may
well end up paying for something that is of little benefit to them, so
we need to consider these topics very carefully.

So my questions for today are :-

Do we want to organise and run GNU/Linux Workshop events in Devon &
Cornwall ?

Do we have the volume of interest sufficient to warrant obtaining our
own Public Liability insurance ?

If so, does anyone in the group have experience in obtaining pubic
liability insurance ?

Is anyone in the group a certified PAT tester ?

Do we want to contribute to obtaining public liability insurance for
DCGLUG  so that we can hold such events ?

Enough topics for discussion for now, your constructive comments as
always most appreciated ...... :-)

Tom.