Re: [LUG] Linux usage in business

Eion MacDonald wrote:
David Johnson wrote:

On Tuesday 03 June 2008 11:19:09 bill@xxxxxxxx wrote:

We have been installing Linux and ERP systems for nearly 10 years and Unix
for 15 years before that.

Is anyone else out there interested in the commercial aspects of Linux, the
opportunities it offers and how widespread Linux is in the business
community.

If there were enough interest Ylem would be happy to offer to host a
meeting to discuss the topic

I'd certainly be interested in hearing from you guys what kind of growth and
changes you've seen over the last few years - especially if you'll be
providing food like last time ;-)

The impression I get is that use of Linux in businesses in the region has
grown significantly over the last five years or so, but it's all been done
fairly quietly - mainly small and medium businesses, some of whom don't even
realise they're using it as they've bought a transparent black-box solution
which 'just works'.

Regards,
David.

Sirs,
I have used Linux and open source for most business purposes*; email,
documents, spreadsheets, internet browsing etc.
* own business and three charities.

The only thing not available to work out of the box for small business
on open source Gnu/Linux is an accounts package that allows for UK VAT
& EU VAT.
So for business I keep one Windows box with QuickBooks Pro (second
hand cheap copy but works)purely for accounts. Otherwise I could go
Gnu/Linux totally.

I assume there are Gnu/Linux  proprietary accounts programs  available
but I started on this one and kept it going as no open source alternative.

If you can point me in the way of a VAT friendly Gnu/Linux program
(OpenSource) I would be  thankful.

GnuCash is  not suitable for UK/EU use, I have t r i e d! The work
arounds  are somewhat troublesome.

Maybe some development here would enable a 'complete package ' working
out of box for Open Source to be made available.  In my opinion this
is the  major stumbling  block to using Gnu/Linux for small business ,
usually starting on a shoe string budget.
Any thoughts?
Regards
Eion MacDonald

I have my own Web based Vat system using MySql and a browser
I do all my accounts with it, tracking Std Vat, Zero Vat , Low Vat and Exempt Vat
It works from just one Machine or if installed on a external web server can be used by many users, on the Internet.
If you want a Demo just call in the Shop at Minions!

Or.....
if any one has a MySql server out there with spare space I can set up a Demo on the Web

--
Regards: Kevin Lucas Post Master (Sub) Minions Shop & Tea Rooms Minions Liskeard Cornwall PL14 5LE www.minionsbandb.co.uk