Re: [LUG] Linux usage in business

On Tuesday 03 June 2008 11:19, bill@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> Posted by "bill wilson" <bill@xxxxxxxx>
>

> We have been installing Linux and ERP systems for nearly 10 years and Unix
> for 15 years before that.
>
> Is anyone else out there interested in the commercial aspects of Linux, the
> opportunities it offers and how widespread Linux is in the business
> community.
>
> If there were enough interest Ylem would be happy to offer to host a
> meeting to discuss the topic
I'd be very interested - alas I'm near Holsworthy so getting over to you may
be a bit tricky.
Having used ERP systems in business - sometimes successfully - I would like to
see stuff about seamless expansion/contraction:
 The main problems I found in using erp systems is 'Windows. By which I mean
everyone wants to avoid actually learning about the problems they have and
just likes to write documents for other people to ignore. That, and the fact
that W$ is not seamlessly expandable - ever 'upgraded' from workgroup ->
server?
 I'd like to see  you can start with one computer and a 'one user' erp system
that can then be expanded as necessary by addition of other machines that are
joined to the 'cluster' or even killed without adversely affecting the system
as a whole.
 Linux/GNU/GPL seems to have the basics necessary for this but we need a
'clusterable' erp that can be configured for basic 'home' uses at the click
of a button and then expanded as required.
It would require the users to have some knowledge of computing and M$ have
done their best to make this unworkable but there are some people who may
want to learn!
Tom te tom te tom