Re: [LUG] netjukebox

On Thursday 05 June 2008 07:27, J Wonnacott wrote:
> Does anyone have any experience of running netjukebox or other similar web
> based media server on a largish scale (possible 1500 users)?
>
> The last time I set up a LAMP based application (egroupware) it ran like a
> glacier once populated with 150 users and their mail!
Did you look into why it was running slowly? Was the main database server on
10Mb ethernet or something?
If you can find the bottleneck its often simple to fix.
A web based media server is probably going to be restricted by the server
bandwidth - 1500 users trying to download 'video of wannabee tv host reading
out two pages of a4 in HD' is going to really hammer a 100MB feed.
whereas 1500 users reading two pages of html is not - so sensible choice of
media helps too!
Remember a media server is really just a db/file server with too much
marketing added.
Tom te tom te tom