[LUG] What do these numbers mean...?

I am having a very educational experience recently.

In the eternal quest to save some cpu cycles to use for fancy effects, I
built a kernel (stock 2.6.24.4) which ought to be faster than my
distro's kernel (Ubuntu Hardy Heron 2.6.24-something-generic).  So
anyway, something I've discovered in my experiments is that the home
brew kernel will only boot using:
root=0805
rather than root=/dev/sda5 or root=uuid=(something)
and I only found that out by booting with all the kernel messages
showing and it gave me list of 080* = /dev/sda* to choose from.

So can anyone explain this to me?  Can anyone explain why this style of
id is necessary rather than the old behaviour, using uuid=*
or /dev/sda* ?  Or explain what I need to (or can) turn on in the kernel
config to change it back?

It's a pain because update-grub automatically creates an entry of
root=uuid=(something) and I am experimenting with various kernel options
at the moment.

Failing that, meaning of life, anyone?

I've tried googling but only come across messages/articles where this
style of root id is incidental.

So now it's really bugging me... wahh!

TIA
Alexis Phoenix