Re: [LUG] Permissions on .tar.gz

Neil Stone wrote:
> On Thu, May 22, 2008 14:25, peter wrote:
>
>> We have model railroad stuff stored in sourceforge.net.  My stuff
>> behaves "nice" but on some stuff, when unpacked, looses  the executable
>> attribute.  OK, its no trouble to chmod or indeed tick the box under
>> permissions but is this usual or is it finger trouble.
>>

> er.. I seem to recall that tar will retain the permissions.. it will of
> course require a filesystem that supports the appributes...

Behaviour varies depending if you are root, and if a umask in effect
(for non-root users - type "umask" to see the current umask).

I tend to use tar most for source code or as root for back-up/restore,
so it is rarely an issue for me.

Probably easiest to just have a play now you know what two factors
affects the output. The "tar" manual page explains it in Debian, but it
is more a sort of reference page than a readable manual.

http://www.gnu.org/software/tar/manual/index.html