[LUG] Truecrypt

Any experts on Truecrypt out there?

I have seen some recommendations about Truecrypt, so I thought I
would try it out.

I run Kubuntu Gutsy so I downloaded the deb file for the latest
version (5.1a) which installed without problem. Then I used Alt-F2 to
start it which again was fine. I created a new volume which seemed to
go OK except for the file system. The only choices are FAT or None.
I cannot understand why there are no more choices such as ext3, as it
is a Linux version I am using.

Anyway, I first of all tried FAT as the file system. It all seemed to
go well but when I tried to mount the new volume I got error messages
saying that it was the wrong file system!! Well, yes, but that was
the only choice except None.

So I tried again, this time choosing None for the file system. Again
all seemed to go just fine. This time when I tried to mount the new
volume I was told that I must have a file system, but I could not
find any way to tell it that I wanted to use ext3. So failed again.

I have searched via Google without luck so far. Some reviewers seem
to suggest that FAT will work. Well, for me it won't. Others say that
it is better to choose ext2 or ext3 but without explaining how.

Can anyone help please?

Neil Winchurst