[LUG] Wanted - Linux programs to recover lost files from FAT32 partitions

The subject line is fairly self-explanatory, but here's the situation. I used a Windows machine to move a group of folders from an external (FAT32) hard drive to an internal drive, which is now unusable (as I dropped it and now it makes a horrible clicking noise rather than a nice whirr...) . What I therefore want to do is recover the data that was moved onto the now unusable drive from the external drive - I have not used the external drive since it happened, so none of the data would have been overwritten.
I've tried a few Windows programs, one of which found and recovered the files but it turned out they were unplayable (the lost ones are all AVIs), so what I'm wondering is, are there any Linux programs that will recover data from FAT32 partitions? I've Googled and found loads that will recover info from ext2/3/Reiser partitions but not Windows partitions, and tried a Helix live CD - there's a couple of utilities on there that look promising (Autopsy and pyFlag) but unless I'm mistaken they both require an image of the drive to be taken first, but it's a 500GB drive and I just don't have another drive large enough (well, I *did*, but...).
Any ideas? It's no big deal if I don't get the files back, just very annoying!
Jason