Re: [LUG] OT: Mac 10.5.2 and Buffalo NAS

Richard Brown wrote:

> Bit of a weird ask here but I cannot find the answers via Google. What
> I would like to do is to sync the Mac to the NAS. The NAS is acting as
> a file server and we want to as often as possible sync all files to
> the Mac. Is it possible please? Any ideas of a programme that would do
> it?

Low levels tools like rsync should work, fine for a simple backup - can
just be scripted to ping the NAS once, and if the ping succeeds just run
an rsync - and schedule the script to run once an hour or whatever suits.

There are some MacOS specific things to know about rsync, but I can't
tell you them because I'm a GNU/Linux person (Google knows) and know zip
about HFS+.

Recently someone mentioned "Unison", which might handle more complex
cases, where both ends are changing files (as opposed to simple backup).
If the NAS presents as a file system then Unison may work, but I've not
used it in anger.