[LUG] Huawei E220 USB Modem

I have bought the above broadband modem from Currys. It came with
T-Mobile "pay as you go" which costs £4 per day. However 3 offer "pay as
you go" for £10 per month which is rather more attractive. I assume one
can buy a 3 SIM card for use with the modem even though the local mobile
phone shop insists on selling a complete package including an identical
modem. One thing I am unclear about is whether the modem needs to be
unlocked and if so how does one achieve that.

Any advice from members with experience of these matters would be welcome.

TIA

John