[LUG] Hardware question

Hi, My motherboard has tweo IDE sockets, I expect like a lot of mbs. Problem
is the secondary IDE slot seems completly useless!. I have yet to get any
device to work through it. It even messes up the configuration of the drives
on IDE one if I try to use it. DOes anyone have any experience of this? I
have tried various configurations using the BIOS....every configuration I
can think of.. Also I have a SCSI cd drive that I'm trying to use. THe
device is seen properly during boot but ubuntu doesn't see the devise. ANy
ideas about this aswell?
Cheers, Jonny D,