[LUG] File "extension" handling?

Hi all,

I've recently started using KDissert (a so-called "mindmapping" tool) under
Gnome on Ubuntu 7.10.

KDissert saves its files as ".kdi" files - which are actually gzipped tar
files containing a single XML document.

Gnome's file manager (Nautilus?) identifies this as an archive (which it
is) and tries to open it in the "Archive Manager" - which is perfectly
logical and reasonable... but I would like to have it open in KDissert by
default.

If I right-click on the file's icon, I can "Open With Other
Application...", but that seems to be a one-time thing.

Where would I have to go to add .kdi as a respected file extension within
Gnome so it always opens in KDissert?

Cheers.
Grant.