Re: [LUG] a pledge to the public

Jaan Jänesmäe wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I'm currently developing a website and having problems with IE
> compatibility. Anyway, i wondered, has the lug ever made public
> statements that have been highlighted in the national newspapers or
> even on tv? If not then now is the time. We have to get some respect
> from the public and come to the front line of war against M$.
>
> Why can't we create a public pledge or statement, that computer
> retailers like PC World and Dell and others have to offer some sort of
> FOSS operating system as standard. What i mean is, like if you go
> shopping on dell.co.uk then currently it shows under laptops M$
> windows as standard. Why can't there be a choice and 2 prices? I think
> even a small amount (up to £5 per disk) is fine as ubuntu charges for
> large amounts of disks. We as a lug could also set up a series of
> support websites and systems that would help the standard user.
>
> If we make a public pledge and simultaneously offer like a standard
> pledge to the MP-s (like a  form you can download, print and send to
> your mp). Why can't we make people listen to us?
>
> On another matter: I know schools and FOSS is currently a great debate
> on the list and has been for a while. So why can't we just pick one
> school, show them, that there is not much difference in using FOSS and
> prove how they can save money by getting FOSS solutions. Surely, there
> we should use dual boot systems first.
>
> Anyway, I think it is time for change and we have to come out of the
> closet, big time!

1.  We can either spend time asking those that support only Windows to
support OSS or
2. Spend time promoting those that do,  that way they get more
exposure,  more sales etc,
3. those that don't support OSS directly,  will then see that OSS is a
good and profitable business model and look into supporting it

I think we should also be looking at giving people a "choice" yes you
can opt for MS, but there is another way,  the other way is based on
freedoms and the freedom to copy the software and modifyt as you want,
let people know there is a choice,

this should work in schools as parents feel they have to spend money on
MS office in order to keep up with the schools, this is fine when they
can afford it,  but when they can't and they forgo a family holiday to
buy MS software (or which ever commercial package required),  then they
should be given an option to choose,   schools can help by installing
both, or offering either on their systems,

The elonex one website also has details of a forum system going live,
it would be good to get involved with this, properly, by going through
the right channels,

Have you thought about volunteering in a school,  perhaps  with IT,  so
you can talk to people directly and see what the issues are etc

Paul

--

Support open file formats use ISO 26300 Open Document format
as used by openoffice.org,  http:///www.openoffice.org

visit us on IRC - irc.flashtek-uk.com / 6667 #dclug