Re: [LUG] Ubuntu Guide

On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 08:29:18 +0000
peter wrote:

> Hi
>
> As I think some of you are aware I am a keen model railroader (I have
> a train set!).
>
> I have written a quick draft guide on installing the Railroad
> Controlling Software (JMRI) on Ubuntu.  The draft was published at
>
> http://jmri.sourceforge.net/install/Ubuntu.shtml
>
> I am currently rewriting this.
>
> If any one has any comments or suggestions perhaps they could pass
> them to me.
>
> Though not up to the standard required I have never-the-less received
> numerous  thank yous from individuals who have failed to get the
> programme running previously.
>
> I would also like to put "the lot" in the repositories, but feel it is
> beyond me.
>
> All the best
>
> Peter L-J

Hi Peter,

I'm not particularly interested in model railroading, but I had a look
over the page anyway.  Here are my thoughts:

+ Inconsistency: A minor point, but that page refers to Linux,
GNU/Linux, Linux/GNU and GNU Linux.

+ LocoBuffer USB: It says that you may need to replace the ftdi_sio.ko
file, but it doesn't say where to put the downloaded file.  Also note
that the kernel version number of the file being pointed to is
2.6.22-14-generic... some kernel modules can be picky if they're being
loaded into a kernel that is different.

+ Java: I am unsure whether Sun's JDK/JRE are available in Ubuntu
without enabling Universe and/or Multiverse.

+ RxTx: The page linked to requires the user to have an account with
Yahoo Groups.  Is there no other location for RxTx to be downloaded
from?  Is it *really* necessary to have that specific version?
Libraries rarely seem to break backwards compatibility deliberately -
have you tried symlinking the *new* RxTx library files to the same name
as the *old* RxTx library file names?

Would it be possible to write a small script that does all the relevant
parts automatically?  Downloads the correct LocoBuffer file and puts it
in the right place (if needed); gets the correct RxTx (or symlinks with
the correct name, if that's what is needed); copies some files to the
appropriate place; etc?

Grant.