Re: [LUG] conflict among the .debs

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 11:47 AM, Adrian Midgley <amidgley2@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  I don't have a solution to this problem (Lenny)
>

>  Unpacking libpth20 (from .../libpth20_2.0.7-9_i386.deb) ...
>  dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libpth20_2.0.7-9_i386.deb
>  (--unpack):
>   trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/libpth.so.20.0.27', which is also in
>  package libpth2
>  Errors were encountered while processing:
>   /var/cache/apt/archives/libpth20_2.0.7-9_i386.deb
>  E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

etch has libpth2, lenny has libpth20

really libpth20 should have been marked to replace libpth2 to avoid a
nasty upgrade mess

My gut feeling is to remove libpth2 and install libpth20 but i have no
idea on what depends on it. Looking at the so name clash anything that
depends on libpth2 will work with libpth20, but this could upset apt.

Are you upgrading to lenny or just installing lenny bits into etch? If
going to lenny then switching to libpth20 should ok as any depends
will be on that and not the old libpth2, if backporting to etch you
may need to unwind any dependencies on libpth2.

Robin (whos often wrong about these things)