Re: [LUG] Repository contents.

Neil Williams writes:
> On Mon, 2008-03-17 at 23:13 +0000, jon.davey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> Hi, I recently installed some packadges using Synaptic. THey didn't show up in
>> any of the menus anywhere
>
> Applications->Accessories->Terminal
>
> $ apt-cache pkgnames
....can't remember exactly what they were all called, there were quite a few
of them!...
> Also try 'apropos' and 'man' with some of the package names that you
> installed:
> $ man mutt
> $ apropos video
....OK...
>> which got me thinking. Acording to Synaptic I have over a thousand packedges,
>> application and programs installed on my system. Where is all of this software?
>
> Running quietly and unobtrusively behind that fancy GUI - supporting and
> fixing everything behind the scenes. Basically, doing the hard stuff
> that GUI's just can't do and without which a GUI could not even start.
.....I was/am aware of this. It's part of the reason that I like Linux. I
was deeply concerned when I heard that from XP onwards Windowz no longer ren
on DOS......
> GNU/Linux is 90% CLI - live with it and learn to love it. No GUI
> application can do even 1% of what the equivalent CLI program can
> achieve.
> ;-)
I am trying. I have got a book on the BASH shell and do my best to try to
use it when I can......
> (I think I can say that with some level of fact because I've written
> both CLI and GUI programs to do similar tasks.)
> Everything about writing a GUI forces constraints on how the program
> interacts with the user as well as adding hundreds of lines of code just
> to do that.
Accepted but some of the music programs that I use would simply not make
sense without a Graphical interface. THey are complex enough to work out how
to use WITH an interface! God only knows the lengths to which it would
complicate things further if there were no intuitive interfaces fronting
these programs. I expext more than half of contempoary electronic music
would not have been made!
>> , how can I find it?
>
> $ ls /usr/bin
> $ ls /bin
> $ ls /usr/games/
>
>> and how can I add
>> icons to the main menu if I so desire ?
>
> No point - most of it is command line stuff that doesn't have a usable
> interface for an icon.
....granted, only as I have mentioned the programs that I am installing will
have GUI's........
> Neil Williams
.....THere are alternatives. Icould stump up the cash and buy the hardware.
Keyboards, mixers, effects units but in comparison the software versions are
always cheeper and generaly do the same function. When I say cheeper I have
managed to put together what, at one time, might have passeed for a fully
functioning professional studio on a budget of a few hundred pounds. Had I
bought the equivilent hardware it would have cost thousands!, I just
wouldn't have been able to do it. I respect the power and functionality of
the command line and am aware that the commands that I put into a GUI will
pass through it at some point after I have clicked that button but without a
GUI I would have never had a way of getting into computers to begin with and
when I do
jon@no-box:cd home/jon/desktop
bash: cd: home/jon/desktop: No such file or directory

I tend to become dispondant. I know that I have a desktop and I know where
it is but somehow just because I lack a decent understanding of how to talk
to the command line I am told that I don't. I will put in the time and
effort to learn but the GUI is such a tempting, easy and, ultimatly,
nesacery shortcut.
   Anyway, thanks, I will persivere with your sugeations.
Cheers, Jon DAvey.