Re: [LUG] ISP

john.hansen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Posted by "John Hansen" <john.hansen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>

> My ISP is BTconnect.com i.e. a business account which I no longer need so I am
> looking for an alternative. BT have several options but their terminology is very
> confusing for an OAP :-). The residential accounts also have access to BTFON which
> is apparently a WIFI facility which is not available with a BTconnect account.
>
> Are there ISPs in our area which can be recommended for use with Linux as well as
> Windows?
>
> John
> --
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
> Generated by the contributors page
> in the members area at D+C GLUG
> http://www.dcglug.org.uk/members/list.php
> webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

BT as ISP. I have used BT Option 1 (Cheapest home option)for broadband
very successfully for 'home/office' use. It comes without the 'nanny
state' anti-virus on your machine but they use Norton at ISP level.
It includes ability to use wireless and , most usefully a second VoIP
telephone line so you can have have two local telephone number numbers.

Outage about 1.5 days once (unexplained) and  16 hours (Fire in local
exchange)in 7 years.
Regards
Eion MacDonald