Re: [LUG] Running two independent instances of X (including two window managers) on one PC

Rob Beard wrote:
> I had a bit of a play with it last night, I managed to get the two
> independent desktops working with two video cards (and also one dual
> head card but the screen updates were a bit sluggish) but the keyboard
> wouldn't work.

When you say independent desktops I assume you mean dual-head, where
both desktops are controlled by one instance of X and you can go between
them by sliding the mouse across?
Or have you somehow managed to get 2 X servers to share the same memory
access?

> I'll probably have another go this weekend.  I did find that two video
> cards caused the machine to lock up.  I presume that even though the
> motherboard supports dual video cards (to increase 3D performance) it
> might not like running them as two separate cards.

Shouldn't be a problem as far as the mobo is concerned- it's quite
common for people to use them to run 4 screens (in linux or windows).
Though I remember that there were stability problems when using lots of
PCI cards and doing the multiple user thing. I don't think the current
kernel/X/general linux setup lends itself to multiple concurrent X sessions.