[LUG] FW: grub installation.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ray Smith [mailto:rjsmith@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 07 March 2008 13:03
To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: grub installation.

What should I put in to make sure that /dev/sda3 is used ? Would it be
(hd0,2) 0,0 being the mbl, 0,1 being my second partition - /dev/sda5 and
then 0,2 equating to the 3rd partition of disk 0.

Does that make sense ? I'm unwilling to commit writing grub to disk unless I
am sure it's going to the right place.

Thanks.

Ray

Partial success. I started an install of suse and when selecting /dev/sda3
as my partition to install to and where I wanted to boot from I looked at
the grub.conf file whjich seemed to indicate  hd0,2

I finished my install of ubuntu and rebooted. I guess I have put grub in the
right place because the loader appears whith the usual option to boot into
safe mode,memory test etc.

However if I select to boot into linux I get a file not found error message.
I know I can't have installed to the wrong partition because my other os's
boot fine and the only other partition is an extended data partition which
is still empty (for the purpose of video editing)

HELP !
The only partition that I want to boot into with linux on I can't get into.
I wish I had forced my iron will on the rest of the family like I said I was
going to and made it linux only !

Ray