Re: [LUG] avoiding the evil empire

Terry Hill wrote:
> On 06/03/2008, Tom Potts <tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> In case M$ get a share of Yahoo I was playing with google mail.
>>  It seems to be the worst, slowest online mail system ever.
>>  I want a free globally available online mail  - any suggestions?
>
> Define worst.
>
> As for slowest, must be something to do with your connection, setup or
> volume of mail - i get the lug list sent to my gmail along with
> everything else.  It's fast, reliable and in the two years ive been
> using it, never once been down to my knowledge.

All my mail goes through gmail. I pick it up with my server using
fetchmail. Even when I log in directly to check the spam box it's
blazingly fast. The reason google are so good is that the stick by the
keep it clean and simple principle. Compare google's search interface to
MSN, Yahoo or others. No adverts, small very clean and simple page, very
fast to load. That's why MSN and Yahoo lost the search engine battle and
why they are now losing the free webmail battle- their pages are
stupidly cluttered and crammed with adverts.