Re: [LUG] Backups

Create a file list of all files that you want backing up

    $ls -laF > files_to_back_up.txt

        Once created go through the list and remove the files you do not want

    $tar -cvf filename.tar --files-from=files_to_backup.txt

        This will create a tar file of the files you want backing up
        I suggest then

    $bzip2 filename.tar

        (and yes you can include the compressing as part of the tar command but I
prefer doing it seperately. The tar creation is quick, the compression is SLOW )

Done

--
Henry
Tue Mar  4 19:59:19 GMT 2008