Re: [LUG] More weird stuff from MS

On Wed, 2008-02-27 at 18:10 +0000, Rob Beard wrote:
> Neil Williams wrote:
> > "Why can you not start with Server Core and build it up to the complete
> > edition? "That's a beautiful design goal and our long-term ambition,"
> > according to Microsoft product manager Gareth Hall."
> > http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2008/02/27/windows_2008_web_server_core_review/
> >

> I read somewhere about their next version of Windows Server doing just
> that, a base OS with components added on.

This *IS* the next version of Windows Server - that's my point. (See the
article).

>  Saying that though, knowing
> MS, it'll probably be a base OS with a GUI, SMB filesystem, web browser
> and all sorts of other stuff built in which can't be removed.

The web browser has been removed, that's one thing. The only GUI
components in the 'core' are supposed to be notepad and regedit (which
begs the question of why have a GUI in the first place?) but the 'core'
is completely non-functional and needs other components to even boot,
apparently.

--

Neil Williams