Re: [LUG] scanners

george wrote:
> I reckon that there are 2 problems with Linux as the desktop and the worst
> one, in my opinion, is getting scanners to work.  I've had several goes at
> getting my Epson 3490 to work and have given up and installed it on XP
> running on Vitual Box.  Sane says that support is for it is good but I have
> had no success.  Maybe it is because I have not found any clear instructions
> anywhere for installation.  This needs to be sorted as scanners are not
> exactly uncommon.
>
> The other problem of course is wireless.  Ok I have a Broadcom card which
> ain't the best but tell that to a Windows user.  I can get the network to
> work on boot but the received signal is very low.  I can get it to work with
> manual input which gives very good signal strength.  I'm trying to learn a
> bit about shell scripts to see if I can automate what I do or modify the boot
> process but that ain't the answer for the rest of the world.
>
> End of Sunday morning rant.  The cat was in hiding so I had to have a go at
> someone.
>
> George

have you got the scanner working in your virtual windows? I installed
windows in a VMware virtual machine so I could use my HP scanner, but no
luck. It turns out that the virtual machine can't handle USB 2 for
scanning. It does however support USB 1, so I bought a USB 1
hub/converter for a few quid and run the scanner through this. It works
fine and doesn't even seem particularly slow. Don't know if this is the
case for virtualbox, but might be worth a google...

The best option, though not helpful if you've spent your cash already,
is to buy a scanner made by Brother. I was gobsmacked when I wanted to
network a scanner run off my partners window box to find that Brother
have linux and/or cups drivers for seemingly all the printers/scanners
they've ever marketed. Really one of the most comprehensive and well
documented  set of drivers I've come across. Brother really do seem to
support linux, http://solutions.brother.com/linux/en_us/index.html.

Simon
--
Simon Robert