Re: [LUG] Friendly!

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 21:01:31 +0000
> Posted by "Berry Christopher"
> Dear Linuxers,
> As your bean-brained OAP member I'd like to report that I bought
> issue 88 of Linux Magazine today and have put Mandriva Powerpack 2008
> from the DVD on my spare computer and it has been exceedingly
> friendly and after a few hours acquaintanceship - as a non-tech
> fellow - I'm much impressed  with it. Do we have another friendly OS
> for newbies? I hope so. Oh! A review of the Eee as well! Cheers,
> Grandad Bee -- ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hi Grandad Bee,

Mandriva (and Mandrake before it) have always typically been regarded
as "newbie friendly" Linux distros.  Likewise any distro based on it
tends to be held in similar regards, including PCLinuxOS.  In my
experience I would say that Ubuntu, although it would appear to be
striving for superior ease-of-use, lags a little behind the likes of
Mandriva/PCLinuxOS.

I hope over time you will grow to be more familiar with the way Linux
systems (in general) work, and I hope you find Mandriva still suitable
for you.  I started with Mandrake 7.1 and stayed with Mandrake for a
long time.  Indeed I stayed with Mandrake 9.1 long past it's "use by"
date as I had grown accustomed to some of the innards of Linux and was
quite happy updating it by hand rather than "ooh, 10.1 is out, I *must*
reinstall and upgrade".

Good luck.
Grant.