Re: [LUG] Helping newbies

On Thu, 2008-02-14 at 13:24 +0000, Grant Sewell wrote:

> Are we ready to give plenty of time and help to those newcomers?  I would
> think so, yes.
This is a must to be just.
>   Certainly I am trying to find out about the possibility of
> "hiring" one of the larger computing labs (sans expensive College
> equipment) here at College on a regular basis - say once every 3 months.
If we could help in some way by using it and getting people in, youo
might be ablke to justify a Linux lab - with some standard setups - for
a school, and a small business.

> If this was successful then it would potentially be a major boost - the
> College is in a well know, very accessibly location with good parking
> facilities (on a Saturday :p) and these regular events could be for taster
> sessions, advice sessions, task specific session (Asterisk, anyone?), etc.
WCBN might publicise an event that could be tailored to the needs of
SME's as this is their remit.

> I do agree, to some extend, with your sentiments regarding VirtualBox.
> Unfortunately I believe one of the first hurdles is to try and get people
> to accept that Linux is not Windows and activities/habits brought across
> from Windows may not work under Linux.
The Linux Format special edition on web design had a Virtualbox install
guide, followed by Ubuntu and various web creation tools to run from
Windows, thus leaving the owner with a working Ubuntu for future use and
possible migration.

--
james kilty
http://www.kilty.demon.co.uk