[LUG] How much RAM

Neil Winchurst wrote:
> I know that I have 512mb of RAM, but I don't know what type etc. The
> reason I am asking is that I am thinking of adding another GIG. Is
> there any anything to watch out for please?
>
> Neil Winchurst
Hi Neil,

1.5Gb would be an odd amount, although obviously feasible.  I would be
inclined however to buy a 2Gb kit of matched memory such as one of these
on offer from Ebuyer.

http://www.ebuyer.com/store/Components/cat/Memory---Desktop?refmen=ln

A couple of reasons for that:

1.  Matched memory will always give you superior performance over
separate sticks, such as what you suggest merely adding 1Gb to the
existing system.

2.  Your current system may be 2 x 256Mb which would give you a maximum
of 2 slots free *if* your board has 4.  That would mean you ending up
with 2 x 256Mb + 2+512Mb (or 1 x 1Gb).  Even if you currently have a
single 512Mb stick you would probably end up with the new pair being
from a different manufacturer.  Different size sticks of RAM or even
different manufacturers will not be as reliable as same size sticks from
the same manufacturer.

The 1Gb or 2Gb kits from manufacturers such as OCZ are deliberately
manufactured from the same batch to give the closest match in
performance to each other giving you maximum reliability.  With RAM
prices tumbling this would be a good time to put in as much as your
budget will allow.  I would of course advise keeping to the major
brands, such as OCZ, Corsair, Crucial, Kingston etc.

Kind regards,

Julian