Re: [LUG] FLOSS in schools redux.

>> Can anyone tell me , or point me to someone who knows how the current
system
of 'delivering' the required curriculum to teachers etc is done.

As a primary school governor, I get the impression that this is how it
works:

Student teachers are issued with a set of curriculum documents during
their course. They are trained to deliver this material. Once graduated
they join the rest of the teachers in the field who get their curriculum
changes as follows:

1. The government issue a new initiative
2. Sometime later the school gets a copy of the document(s)
3. The head teacher diseminates the document to the teachers and governors
4. Governors oversee the implementation
5. Teachers have to work for themselves how to teach the new initiative
with self help material from governornet, teachernet, lea etc.

In some cases, eventually, some external courses become available for
teachers to attend. In general though, the school is left to work it out
for themselves. They have to shoe-horn the new bits into their existing
curriculum plans, aquire their own teaching material and learn how to
teach it themselves.

Notice how I said "I get the impression"? That's because there is no
existing formal, verified route of information flow from government to
teachers. Successful schools have talented, dedicated teachers & heads who
pro-actively keep an eye on such matters.

Martin