Re: [LUG] Windows Vista

On Tue, 2008-02-05 at 16:30 +0000, Grant Sewell wrote:

> > Perhaps MS should then provide "Vista Welsh edition" "Vista Arabic
> > edition" etc..etc.. waste even more money..
>
> Does anyone know if the various Linux distros provide the GPL in all
> languages available to that distro before installation?

The FSF do not provide translations of any licences because there is no
guarantee that the translated licence will match the original with
sufficient precision. A legal term in one language rarely has an
identical counterpart in another language. A description of the licence
can be translated but the precise legal terms of the GPL remain in
English only.

Problems like this led to the schism over cdrecord and cdrtools -
upstream insisted on a particular interpretation of the GPL that was
based on his own legal system (and preconceptions) and disagreed
(vociferously) with nearly everyone else when told that he had made a
serious mistake. The view within Debian was that his actions made it
illegal for Debian to distribute the package. He still insists that he
was right all along but the package was removed from Debian before Etch
and a new upstream team was created to maintain the fork. If you want to
read the gory details, part of the thread is here:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2007/11/ but the original problem
started *much* earlier and it can be hard to pick out the bones of the
argument without reading the early stuff too.

One part of that problem was that the GPL was interpreted within the
legal framework of a different country (and the interpretation used by
upstream was itself challenged by residents of the same country).

In some ways, it is best to follow GNU advice and attribute (at least
some) copyright to the FSF so that there is at least one copyright
holder who can enforce the GPL *within the jurisdiction in which it was
originally written*.

> I remember that Mandrake used to do this but I've not really installed
> Mandrake (or Mandriva) since about v10.2 and I can't remember if they
> do anymore or not.

A translation of the GPL has no legal weight - the FSF say so
themselves. The GPL is in English and the only enforceable meaning of
the GPL is what is written in the English version.

I suspect that Microsoft are fully aware of such issues and would not
risk a translated EULA. I also suspect that MS would not be slow to take
advantage if a translated GPL opened up holes in the licence in
particular localities.

The GPL is well known and in very wide usage but such is the nature of
law and human nature that despite the clarity of the licence and the
vast wealth of documentation on how it actually works, people will still
(deliberately or through human error) create their own interpretations
of what it actually means for a specific situation.

The GPL FAQ itself points out that there are elements of the GPL that
are recognised as "grey areas" - despite all the work on GPLv3, some
parts of the GPL are still debatable as to the precise meaning in
specific circumstances, especially in relation to firmware and the point
at which hardware becomes software, whether firmware can be regarded as
inviolate and whether a chip can actually be classified as a driver.

Translating the GPL only makes that *a lot* worse.

--

Neil Williams