[LUG] Switching from X11 to vtty

Hello,
I have, due to external circumstances, been forced to reboot my desktop after
a rather long period of uptime. Upon reboot I have found that once in X11 I
could not switch to a vtty with Ctrl-Alt-f[1-6]. All it does is enter the
characters [P-S] for f[1-4] and ;7~ for all f keys higher than that. I use my
terminals quite a lot and would like them back.
I am currently running linux-2.6.23 on gentoo which is the same and before the
reboot. I may have changed something before then.
I had, on a seemingly unrelated note, changed /usr/include/asm to the one in
my kernel sources and back again. This does not seem to affect it but does
cause errors in compiling software; just in case this has had some other
unknown impact.
If it seems like a good idea I could move up to 2.6.24 but I don't want to
introduce any more changes.

--
Tom (the younger)