Re: [LUG] Routers

Rob Beard wrote:
> Richard Brown wrote:
>> Hi Guys
>>
>> All this talk of routers makes me ask the question what one? I am
>> currently running a bt wireless router. And then moving the signal
>> upstairs with the use of a Devolo through the elec cables system. But
>> it is very hit and miss at times with connections being dropped. I
>> don't live in a large house but it is Cornish and whilst one or two of
>> the walls are thick - they're not that thick.
>>
>> What I want is a router that can do port forwarding and wireless. Any
>> ideas on what to go for? Is it worth going n standard with g etc
>> although I don't have an n standard wireless system it might be
>> something to build in for future use.
>>
>> Thanks
>
> Are there any other wireless networks in the area?  I found that due to
> a whole load of wireless networks being on the same channel in my street
> my network wasn't performing very well.  Might be worth trying to change
> the channel first.
>
> If you do get another router you might want to look at the 108Mbit
> routers which supposidly have much better signal range.
>
> Rob

you could look at zoom routers, PC World, which do both wired and
wireless. I use both, wireless for the laptop and eeepc wired via develo
for upstairs PCs. I find that the develo plugs run from a wired
connection from the router go down about once every 3 or 4 months
(unplug and stick em back in again). You can also get a develo type wifi
point from Solwise. This plugs into an electric socket anywhere in the
house and broadcasts a wifi signal, whatever your router is.

Simon
--
Simon Robert
www.oldhouse-cottage.co.uk