Re: [LUG] System grinds to a halt when using PCMCIA slot

Simon Williams wrote:
> Evening all.
>
> I've got a PCMCIA CF reader and a CF SD reader. To clarify:
> SD Card --> CF card --> PCMCIA card --> laptop
>
> This works fine, except for a pretty annoying problem. Whenever the
> system uses the card (reading or writing) everything else grinds to a
> halt. It's like the kernel ignores everything else whilst the card is in
> use. This is a minor irritation when using small files, but I'm usually
> copying a whole pile of stuff to or from it, and the system is unusable
> whilst that is happening.
>
> Anyone know why this might be or how to fix it?
>
> Thanks.
> Simon

I take it the card comes up as a block device, and isn't Compact Flash
basically an IDE device?

Could it be related to DMA?

I can't help but think it's a rather long winded way of reading an SD
card.  Wouldn't a USB SD card reader be a more elegant solution? (or
doesn't the laptop have USB?).

Rob