Re: [LUG] Router vulnerability

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 17:52:41 +0000
Allister Gearon wrote:

> Hi all,
> I don't know whether this has been flagged up on the list already (I
> don't remember seeing it), but a rather serious vulnerability shared
> by 99% (apparently) of all routers exists.  I originally saw it
> listed here;
>
> http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2008/01/15/home_router_insecurity/
>
> and the details are here;
>
> http://www.gnucitizen.org/blog/hacking-the-interwebs
>
> an here;
>
> http://www.gnucitizen.org/blog/flash-upnp-attack-faq
>
> Apparently the only fix is to turn off uPnP on your router, if your
> are lucky enough to have such as option.  Mine didn't.  : (
> Apologies if you already know all about it.
> Cheers
> Allister

I've said for many years now that UPnP is an abomination of
networking.  Pretty much any application running on a host PC can
request that the router opens up and forwards incoming traffic
arbitrarily.  What's the point in having a firewall if you go and
invent and widely implement a technology that circumvents it without
the need for authorisation?!

Grr!

*Deep breath*

Grant.