Re: [LUG] Learning Perl as a non-programmer

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 15:34:21 +0000
Henry Bremridge <henry.bremridge@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> There are a couple of programs that I am starting to use that are written in perl
> (Finance::quote and beancounter) and I would dearly love to play around with them
> a bit.
>
> HOWEVER: I have looked at a couple of online sites and still not really any closer
> at achieving what I want. The best I have found so far is
> http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2000/10/begperl1.html and there are some things that I
> cannot get my head around. Before spending serious time on resolving this, does
> anyone have any recommendations on the best way to learn Perl?

http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=262603
Teach Yourself Perl ISBN 0672317737
Follow a proven plan to learn Perl easily and logically. Saves a
download too, as Perl 5.005_3 is included on the CD for Windows,
Macintosh and Unix/Linux. Covers basic Perl, CGI, complex forms and
cookies as well as Perl's built-in debugger. (I still use my copy
regularly.)

http://www.codehelp.co.uk/code/codebooks.shtml

> (I say Perl but to be honest I have never programmed and the programmes I use are
> in Perl, so Perl was my language of choice.)

There are two other perl books on that codehelp page - the Perl and CGI
is website-based and the Perl in a Nutshell one isn't really a
beginners reference but still useful.

--

Neil Williams