[LUG] Scanners

A word of warning about scanners.  I had an Epson scanner working well on my
Mepis setup.  I then setup a virtual Windows machine using Virtual box and to
do so I had to lift the Linux kernel version to 2.6.15-27 (I think).  What I
didn't know was that support for scanners was removed for some reason from
the later version so my scanner stopped working.  I very nearly bought a new
scanner but tried it on a Windows setup, and it worked. (thank goodness for
Windows, eh?) I investigated and tried to install drivers from the Sane site
but gave up in the end. For the bit of scanning I do I'll do it in Windows
(thanks Bill) until support comes back into the Kernel.  Anyone know when
that will be?

BTW, the kernel upgrade was OK for my Mepis setup as it was, but some
subsequent package upgrades give dependency problems.  Obvious to an old hand
but not to me.  And I haven't seen any warnings in the many articles in the
mags etc. on virtual machines.

Regards

George